We are upgrading our workflow engine powering the service catalog and enhancing the user experience. These improvements enable service desk teams to simplify the process of creating and editing service catalog items and automating business processes across the company.
The new workflow engine is available to both new and existing Samanage customers, with the following recommendations:
- Existing Customers - We encourage you to continue using the current workflow engine while evaluating the new engine. To activate the new workflow engine, visit “Setup -> Samanage Labs” and turn it on. This community post provides more information. Migration of a single service catalog item to the new workflow will be available upon release, and mass migration capabilities will follow at a later date. Once mass migration capabilities are available and customers have migrated their service catalog items, we will move fully to the new workflow engine.
- New Customers - Accounts created after the release date will be using the new workflow engine by default.
What improvements have been made to the new workflow engine?
- Condition sets enable you to execute a task dependant on a variable input. Now, these Condition Sets can be applied to all the steps in a process and defined only once. This provides users with greater flexibility in defining workflows without the need to repeat the condition throughout the process.
- Workflows can be terminated at any point with the Stop Process step (formerly abort). In the old Samanage workflow, stop process can be implemented only in an approval step.
- Groups can be named, making them much easier to identify and organize.
- Colors are used to differentiate actions (e.g. green for true conditions, red for false conditions, orange for concurrent tasks)
- Vertical lines and indenting can be used to trace logic step-by-step
- Drag-and-drop can be used to move individual tasks, conditions, and groups, approvals, etc.
- Folder icons now show grouped tasks. Folders can be collapsed and expanded to show steps in your workflows.
- Labels have been added to differentiate ‘Approval’ and ‘Condition Set’
- Users can hover over steps and a drop down list of actions will display, this replaces ‘Add Task, Add Approval, Add Group, Delete Group, Concurrent’ buttons.
How is this beneficial?
The new engine is more flexible and powerful, aimed at simplifying the process of creating and editing service catalog items and provides the foundation for future investments in workflow processing. We now give customers the ability to edit an existing workflow, rather than having to start from scratch. Additionally, the platform is much more flexible and will enable Samanage to add future functionality and capabilities with greater speed and efficiency.
As shown in the screenshot below, workflows are easier to create, edit, and follow by team members working with service catalog items.
How can I enable the new workflow engine on my account (Existing customers only)?
- Start by navigating to Samanage labs under Setup/Samanage Labs
- Scroll down to the Workflow post and ‘turn on’ the new workflow engine.
- From this moment on, any new catalog item created will use the new workflow engine.
- Navigate to Service Desk/Service Catalog
- Click on an existing service item or create a new service item to test out the new UX and workflow engine.
- If at any time you wish to stop testing, just turn the workflow engine off from the Labs page. From that moment on, new catalog items created will be in the old workflow engine. Any catalog items created using the new workflow and service requests created from them will persist and execute as normal.
- You can also use “Draft, Internal, and Approved” statuses for Service Catalog items while you are testing to help smooth the transition for your end users.
- We recommend creating some test catalog items before using the new workflow engine for production catalog items as well as trying the new single-item migration capabilities.
We look forward to your feedback!
At your service,
The Samanage Team