csmall@mdaturbines.com

Software Compliance, Tags and Versions

Discussion created by csmall@mdaturbines.com on Jun 22, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 by crystal.karanovich@channeladvisor.com
When you create software license contracts in samanage and define a number of purchased licenses for a software product, then tag that software in the software inventory, you get a comparison of what is purchased and what is actually installed.

That is great, but I'm seeing a problem with this going forward and I am wondering if anyone else can chime in and either confirm or offer a workaround perhaps.

Samanage identifies software by its version number. This means you can have 5 software entries of the same piece of software with the same name and different versions.

That's OK right? But what happens going forward, especially when it comes to software that updates frequently online? AntiVirus agents, O365.. etc...

You tagged your AntiVirus agents that all reported in with a mixture of version numbers.. 2.0, 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.7.2 etc... you have your count against purchased licenses.. but now the agent goes out and updates and changes to version 2.9 or 3.0...any upgraded agent now needs to be tagged again to count against the defined number in the contract.

With more and more software moving to continuous updates, is this going to be a never ending game of cat and mouse? Will we constantly have to check for new versions of software and tag them to stay in sync?

Samanage, am I just missing something and there is an easy way to deal with this or are you aware of it and potentially have something in the roadmap to deal with it?

Thanks.

Outcomes