Todd Thomas

Understanding filters (aka reports) for incidents

Discussion created by Todd Thomas on Jan 28, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 by Todd Thomas
It's taken us a while to figure out the logic of filters for the Service Desk's incidents list. Here's what I think I've determined is the current logic. Feel free to chime in if my understanding is incorrect or I forgot something.

For an individual filter type, each additional item of the SAME type acts as an OR filter. For example, if I set-
  • State: Resolved
  • State: Closed
the list of incidents will show those in the State of Resolved OR Closed.

However, for each additional DIFFERENT filter type it acts as an AND filter. For example, if I set-
  • Site: Administration
  • Department: Technology
it will filter for both the Site of Administration AND the Department of Technology.

As an elaborate example-
  • State: Resolved
  • State: Closed
  • Site: Dark Side
  • Department: Death Star
  • Department: Endor
it will filter on [State of Resolved OR Closed] AND [Site of Dark Side] AND [Department of Death Star OR Endor]

Once you understand this, filtering becomes more manageable. However, having each of these filters act in only one way makes it challenging depending on the criteria. Sometimes you can use filters with not (such as State not) to achieve a similar goal.

Filters will get an overhaul at some point in the future. In the interim if there was some visual indicator to show this behavior that would be helpful.

Outcomes