As a Samanage administrator of an organization with users who have logged into Samanage using Internet Explorer 9 (IE9), we want to alert you of an important change to the support of this Microsoft browser.
What is changing?
Microsoft has announced that they will end support for IE9 and IE10 in January 2016. Samanage will also stop supporting Internet Explorer 9 by March 2016.
The implications being, beginning in March 2016, some features/functionality may no longer work in IE9 browsers. Bugs or performance issues that appear only when using IE9 will not be investigated or fixed by Samanage after this date.
Why are we ending support for IE9?
As we evaluate which browsers to support, we consider which ones will give our users the best experience and enable us to focus on areas that will add the most value for customers. There are four key reasons that drove this decision:
- Microsoft will stop supporting IE9 in January 2016. For more information on Microsoft?s plans, please see their website.
- IE9 will become less secure due to lack of updates. Trust and security are incredibly important to us at Samanage. There have been multiple security vulnerabilities discovered in these older browsers over the years, so we are upholding our commitment to Trust by ending support for these less secure browsers.
- IE9 is not HTML5 compatible. IE9 was released in March 2011. This browser does not support the rich internet apps our customers have come to expect, including HTML5, which is the new industry standard and the technology we are investing in moving forward.
- Compliance: Businesses that are governed by regulatory obligations such as HIPAA should conduct due diligence to assess whether they are still able to satisfy compliance requirements using unsupported software.
- Our customers are trending towards newer browsers, and we want to develop features that best serve our customer community.
What action do I need to take?
We are giving you advanced notice to ensure you have as much time as possible to plan for alternative strategies. We strongly recommend that you and your company?s IT administrators upgrade to one of our supported browsers prior to March 2016.
Our list of currently recommended browsers (as of Jan. 2016):
- Microsoft� Internet Explorer� versions 10 and above
- Mozilla� Firefox�, most recent stable version
- Google ChromeTM, most recent stable version
- Apple� Safari�, most recent stable version Mac OS X
What will happen if I take no action?
While users may still be able to access the service from IE9 after March 2016, new and/or existing features and functionality may no longer work in these browsers. In addition, bugs or performance issues that appear only when using IE9 will not be investigated or fixed by Samanage after this date.
How can I get more information?
Samanage Support Team is always available to answer any questions you may have about this change. We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you during this transition to support your success.
At your service,
The Samanage Team