Auto-assign Ticket to First Agent to Comment

Idea created by 6747283 on May 25, 2016
    Long term plan
    Score100

(Originally posted on 28, July 2015)

While I have already seen a few threads similar to this idea, none of them appear to have gotten much response.

I would like to see if it is possible to have NEW Incidents be automatically assigned to the first Agent who comments on the ticket; thus removing/automating the process a bit.

Currently, we must comment on the incident, and then go back in the incident to update the assignee as well as the status. This means that we must take 3 steps for assignment on each incident where we could shorten the process to 1.
    Since most service desks require a response to the end-user, this would be the most logical step to keep while automating the others.

I would like to see the system change both the status (from New to Assigned) and change the assignee of the ticket to he/she who posted a comment to the ticket.

Naturally, there will be cases in which one agent is posting a comment and then sending the ticket to someone else, but I see this automation as an overall win in terms of meeting SLAs and achieving better consistency. 

What problem will this feature solve?: