Improvements to Printers in asset management

Idea created by 7374135 on May 25, 2016
    Under Consideration
    Score75

(Originally posted on 27, February 2015)

I think the Printers part of the asset management in Samanage is somewhat lacking.
    We would like to tag and track printers in Samanage (especially personal printers going out to individual user), but it's very hard because there's no real information displayed other than the driver name and port Samanage. We find ourselves adding printers as "Other assets" and ignoring the "printers" function. We have the following problems / wished for printers, if it's to be useful in the future:

1. Make it possible to manually add printers to Samanage. When we send out printeres to remote users, we can't tag them beforehand, because they're only added when (IF!) they are discovered by the Samanage agent.
    2. Why can't we add serial numbers to Printers? We can't even add a custom field to Printers for that? It's really the only unique way of tracking a specific printer.
    3. Printers doesn't seem to populate right in Samanage. We're not seing close to right amount of printers, compared to the number of PC's we have on samanage. Forcing an inventory refresh sometimes helps.
    4. Shared printers keeps popping in and out. Even if I mark a printer as shared, the next day it can be changed back to 4 individual printers. I think this function could be more robust and automized.

That's my rant for today :)

What problem will this feature solve?: